So, Bollywood in 2013 had seen many thresholds crossed. Sequels saw their third generation; a 200 crore rupee collection was not a big deal anymore which was completed by 3 films in past (year 2013). Its no more something that gets your eyes rollings. It probably is a given, if you see a big banner film release.
With most business analysts right on top of their job to predict which one is going to make it to the club of the 100 crores, you’re always updated with the moolah behind the media. 2014 looks even bigger with bigger films and bigger expectations.
1. National Velvet? No, it is Bombay velvet for sure. Anurag kashyap’s first foray into commercial cinema is coming about with this movie. Anushka Sharma and Ranbir Kapoor along with Karan Johar (yes, as an actor) are going to be obeying Kashyap’s commands at the camera. A period film of sorts, it showcases Bombay of 1950s, 60s and 70s.
There isn’t a lot about the movie’s budget and other trade details that have been divulged yet, but it won’t take long to get these updates too.
2. Prabhu Deva, not injudiciously, had been called the Indian Michael Jackson in the past. Trust him to come up with something called Action Jackson. And, come up, he did! The movie will star Ajay Devgun, which sure is going to give Ajay a break after a hiatus he is going through.
3. Jagga Jasoos: Ranbir Kapoor will turn Jasoos in this movie by the very successful director Anurag basu. The two had given the surprise of the year in their super hit Barfi and Jagga may turn out to be a bigger hit. Add Katrina Kaif and you have it all. For the kind of love chemistry that has been doing the rounds of most Bollywood gossip magazines, one can expect a huge turnout for this movie. Who does not want to check out the fire between the 2 on screen to testify their love off screen.
4. Can a revolver transform itself into a holiday. It can, in the hands of A R Murugadoss. His blockbuster in Tamil called Thuppakki (Revolver) will be called Holiday in Hindi remake. Given the immense popularity ARM’s Ghajini got, you can bet your last dollar this movie with Akshay Kumar will set the box office on fire.
Although, off late Akshay has not been delivering hue hits, it does seem like this one is going to prove being the game changer for Mr. Khiladi.
5. If Singham was ferocious, Singham 2 should be doubly so. At least that is what one expects in the sequel with the same ferocious Ajay Devgun, to be directed by the Chennai Express director Rohit Shetty. Devgun may fine-tune his already fine-tuned acting prowess in this movie as shown in past years in Bollywood media updates.
6. Hrithik Roshan and Katrina Kaif; two of the tallest but slim actors, are going to keep the audience on the edge of the seat with their animal magnetism as they reprise the roles of Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz in one of the fastest-action movies, Knight and Day. The movie in Hindi is aptly named Bang Bang. Get ready for a roller-coaster ride.
7. Jai Ho has just released and is already being hailed as one of the landmark films that Salman Khan has done. What is more, it is not all about action. Salman’s brother, Sohail Khan has incorporated a social message within the film.
8. Sajid Nadiadwala is about to “Kick”, for, that is the name of the movie he is going to direct with Salman Khan in the lead. Chetan Bhagat, no less, will pen the screenplay; music will be scored by Himesh Reshammiya. That is saying something! Rumours had it that Salman Khan bagged an 80 crore deal for the film. Thats a whopping number!
9. How can we not talk about King Khan? Farah Khan cannot have anyone but Shahrukh Khan and he will be celebrating Farah’s “Happy New Year” with Deepika Padukone celebrating with him. Business insiders claim the movie to be a 130 crore budgeted project and is one of the top runners for the highest grossing films for 2014.
Posted by: Himanshu Goel